Topband: (more related question) How electrically tall is this tower please? (will it work on 160?) (long read)

Mike & Coreen Smith ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Sat Sep 27 17:54:44 EDT 2008

Hi Again,

If I have a local signal on 1.26MHz, is there any way I can use that as a
daytime reference as to which of my 2 antennas is working better? (low
loaded sloper vs. the SF tower itself?)

Ie: This afternoon I made some changes to my capacitor and gamma feed
length, slope & spacing (in the pouring rain I might add) and my local AM
BCB stn on 1.26MHz still seems a wee bit louder on the tower(3-6dB), but (in
daylight, mind) all the other semi-local stations from W1/2, VE1, 2 & 9 are
much (10-20dB) stronger on my very low loaded sloper. (higher angle
radiator?)

After playing with the gamma wire spacing and taking down my "CW160"
Zepp/Dipole off the side of the tower, I have dropped the tower from being
resonant around 2.2MHz to what is "close" to resonance on 1.83MHz....I say
close, as "at the tower" I can adjust for a ~1.3:1SWR @ 1.83MHz, but 180'
away in the shack it shows it resonant around 1.91 MHz.....if I tweak the
cap slightly I can get SWR flat in-shack, but I am sure at the tower, the
MFJ-259 would show me 2.1:1 (or more) SWR. . . .argh

SS is in 30 mins. . . .maybe I can get some useable data once the D-layer
absorption drops off some, but would love to hear from you guys on what you
do for A/B comparisons in the daytime.

Mike VE9AA FN66