Topband: Back in the Saddle Again...

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Mon Sep 29 10:10:13 EDT 2008

It sure is nice to be back on 160-meters again...!

I spent a good part of the morning yesterday refurbishing the outdoor tuning network & enclosure of my eastern "L" (the one that's half in the bush here), & unrolled its temporary (until the next mowing) radials atop the lawn, all before the jaundiced eye of my XYL.

Despite the steady S-9+ din of QRN that greeted me, I still managed to work nine stations between last night & this morning, including one 5-watt station in Miami with a 15' antenna! It was great to receive a report from the west coast, and to QSO my first DX station of the season, i.e. FM5CD.

I imagine the storm on the east coast is responsible for all of the noise heard --- still, the propagation IS there, and that's great...AND it will be "abetted and aided" in the coming weeks as I unfurl my arsenal of K9AY loops & two more "L" elements...!

I sure missed being active, lo these past 5 months. Now my early-rising habit will serve some useful purpose, Hi Hi.

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ