Topband: Reverse Beverages

Dennis W0JX w0jx at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 21 13:27:08 PDT 2009

I've also got both DXE and a homebrew KDSV reversible beverage here in Ohio. They are approximately 450 feet long. The commercial DXE boxes use the 450 ohm ladder line. Performance is outstanding in both directions.

My KD9SV beverage uses WD-1A military telephone wire for the parallel line. I have measured, and do notice, a 5 db loss in the reverse direction which I believe is attributable to the loss of the transmission line in the reverse direction. However, it is not significant for my needs in the SW direction. Incidentally, Harold Beverage wrote about the losses of his two wire beverage system in some of his early writings. I think it is dependent upon the quality of the two wire line, and the transformer matching system that is used. A future experiment here is to replace the WD-1A line with 300 ohm ladder line, wind new transformers, and test that system.

73, Dennis W0JX/8
Milan, OH