Topband: insulated vs:bare radial wires

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Fri Dec 4 12:32:49 PST 2009

Todd:

     I use insulated radials for my (now removed) inverted L and shunt-fed
tower on 160M simply because insulated wire lasts longer in my back yard
than does bare copper.  My first antenna at this QTH (outside Washington,
DC) was a Hygain 18AVQ all-band vertical for 80-10M.  I installed about a
dozen #20 gauge bare copper -clad steel radials and connected them DIRECTLY
to the aluminum mounting bracket of the antenna.  (No anti-corrosion
compound or stainless steel to prevent galvanic corrosion, but I digress.)

     The antenna sucked, i.e., it worked equally poorly in all directions.
I worked a bit of DX with it but only during the sunspot peaks when even a
loaded rain gutter might have been as efficient.  When I dug in the vicinity
of the vertical's base to begin excavation for my tower in the same spot, I
found nothing was left of the copper-clad wire.  It had all gone back to
Mother Earth in the years it was outside.

     Since then I've used insulated wire for the above reason; and scrap
insulated wire is cheap.

     Your theory on using lots of copper to collect antenna currents
underneath the vertical element is pretty much correct, from what I have
learned here on Topband.  However, as others here have said, there is a
point of diminishing returns beyond which you get less and less improvement
in antenna efficiency for the same amount of added copper radials.  The
general concensus here is that beyond about fifty to sixty feet of in-ground
radial wire you would be better off adding more radials than making them
longer.  This is for lowband operation (160 - 40M.)

     The ARRL published an article in QST (June, 1985, N2MF) in which the
author used NEC to calculate the theoretical perfomance of more vs longer
radials for vertical monopoles.  The results showed an obvious flattening
out of the efficiency curve (as measured by calculated gain of the antenna
plus ground system) as you added radials, or as their lengths increased.

     BOTTOM LINE:  If you have only so much wire, or space, for your radial
network, you can determine an optimum number and length of radials for use
with your monopole vertical.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F