Topband: Edger for burying ground radials ?

Missouri Guy n0tt1 at juno.com
Sat Dec 12 10:46:55 PST 2009

Ed,

I once used a "Mantis" with the edger attachment...it
works but what a pain to use for radial placement that
turned out to be because it didn't leave a clean
"trench".  That "Earthquake" machine might work better....
looks like it would have better control.  Perhaps it
can be modified to bury the wire as you go.

I seem to remember that ON4UN had a "sled" that
was pulled by a riding lawn mower.  It was in his
Low Band Dxing book.  Also, check QST..might
have been some other gizmos/methods presented there.

73,
Charlie, N0TT

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:39:20 -0600 Ed Stallman <n5dg at airmail.net> writes:
> I would like to know if anyone has used an edger to cut small groves
>
> in the ground for burying radials ? If this will work , I'm going to
>
> need something heavy duty. something like what's in the link below
> ...because I have allot of radials to bury at least an inch beneath
>
> the soil, 2 would be better. I have this bahiagrass in my pasture
> and
> this stuff is tough . From reading the add's on these edgers, most
> say they will cut up to 2.5 inches in depth. I've never  had the
> need
> for an edger, so I'm asking will this make  a fairly clean cut to
> lay my wire?
>
> I know their are better way's but I don't have a tractor and I can't
>
> staple them to the ground .
>
> what do y'all think, will this work ?
>
> Ed N5DG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Earthquake-400028-Earthquake-Edger-3hp-Close-out-New_
W0QQitemZ280425700022QQcategoryZ29520QQcmdZViewItem#vi-content