Topband: 160 RX Loops

Pete Parisetti hb9dsu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 00:32:17 PST 2009

Initially I have used the KC2TX coax loops, with rather dismal results.
Then, I have done exactly what Herb suggests
(loop.jpg<http://www.chmusiq.com/ham/img/loop.jpg>),
and was initially very pleased. Upon more careful evaluation, though, I
found that there is no real gain in terms of s/n: the loop is a lot less
noisy than the TX antenna (inverted L, 17 m tall), but in reality I can hear
just as well (or as bad...) as when I use the 80 m inverted L as a 160 RX
antenna. Same applies for the use of a preamp: signals go up, but so does
the noise... Please note that I have used toroids on the coax near the
feedpoint of the loop to block common mode noise.

I find it extremely frustrating seeing on ON4KST chat room and from the clx
spots what people around me hear on TB. I don't hear a thing, and don't seem
to be able to improve things. Hope your efforts will be met with better
results.

73 Pete