Topband: SB-220 on 160m?

Victor A. Kean, Jr. vkean at k1lt.com
Sun Dec 27 17:46:47 PST 2009

On Wednesday 18 November 2009 4:49:11 pm Mike & Coreen Smith wrote:
> Has anyone ever added the extra position bandswitch wafer ...

I did this to my SB220 by cannibalizing an extra switch wafer to move
a set of contacts to add 160 along with the other bands.  Added an
extra set of contacts to throw a relay to add a cap to the loading
control.  Never got around to building a PI network for the input
side, so you had to drive it hard to get a gallon out.  Also, had to
add capacitance to improve bypassing, and had to wind a better plate
choke.  Finally, the filament choke needs to be upgraded.  But it
mostly works.

Blew out the plate transformer, so got a Peter Dahl substitute.

Haven't used that amp in a while, bet I need to pump down the tubes
again :-)

Victor, K1LT