Topband: Power Line Noise

w2pm at aol.com w2pm at aol.com
Mon Dec 28 06:39:00 PST 2009

Another bad actor with household noise which  will hurt 160 and even
higher bands are water bed warmers.  Found several already for friends
over the years.  Noise is pulsed white noise or other pulsed crud even
if the warmer is OFF! Only cure is to pull plug out of wall outlet or
put it on a switched outlet.   I have never found clamp on chokes to be
effective here but once had a VCR radiating crud on 80 meters and wound
the electrical cord for it through a 4 inch diameter donut toroid and
it stopped it.

2 other chronic QRM'ers here are the electrostatic airfilters which
sound like those outdoor bug zappers.  They pulse out a modulated
carrier for 4 seconds - off 5 seconds, on 4 seconds - and the carriers
fall on discrete frequenices from 160 up.  Toroids did not work because
the RF is actually radiating from the unit.  I did find that wrapping
my hand over the upper part of the plastic tower-like housing changed
and muted the crud big-time so now I put a sheet of alum foil on that
spot and it took most of the crud out.

Pete W2PM