Topband: FW5RE and Topband

Art k6xt at arrl.net
Tue Feb 10 19:00:53 EST 2009

ha0du at dx.hu wrote:
> Hello TopBanders,
>
> First of all, R.I.P> Jim, VK9NS - I will always remember you.
>
> Secondly, thank you all for the nice words about FW5RE.
>
> The low band operator there is Laci, HA0NAR.
>
> He is definitely doing his best to dig out call signs from the mud of noise
> - and QRM.
>
> I share the opinion of SV3RF to some extent. There are some contacts in the
> 160 m log, which are generating questions.
>
> No secret that I make a complete recording of every 160 m operation for EU
> - at least when I am at home. In general I can tell that almost everybody
> East of the OH-SP-OM-HA-S5 line had very solid QSOs. Now there are only SIX
> stations in the log West of that line. I can tell you that I heard BOTH
> sides of four QSOs, and enough of the remaining two, that I can say these
> contacts were good.
>
> Whether or not these contacts were made from the "home" QTH of the licence
> holders, I cannot tell. But I already received enough e-mails from DX'ers
> to know that many of you are trying to get access to the best possible QTH
> in your area to have a better chance.
>
> The biggest problem I hear is that whenever FW5RE answers someone, there
> are immediately other stations jump on the TX frequency of the European
> station and start calling and giving reports. This is unacceptable! This is
> probably how two top DXer's got to the log, but they have been removed from
> it at their own request. (And by the way, this is how a few years ago my
> contact in progress with TX9 had been destroyed by other EU callers - an
> incident which I am not going to forgive for).
>
> Agelos, if you have proof that fake QSO's were made, please send it to me
> in private to either HA0DU at dx.hu or FW5RE at ha0du.com
>
> 73 es DX
>
> Steve HA0DU

Steve
I want to give a special thanks to (probably) Laci. For my new country
160M contact Laci left a pileup on 80M at my request to QSY at my SR.
Previously he'd been active on TB but not when I could work him. He
didn't want to leave a perfectly good 80M run, but he did.

I can see why he didn't want to leave. He worked me and 3 or 4 others
then the 160 activity dried up. I was very surprised at the lack of callers!

It has been a great expedition. We all thank you.

73 Art K6XT