Topband: Topband mailing list

Mike Waters W0BTU mrscience65704 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 20:05:57 EST 2009

Dear Bill Tippett,

I understand that you are the gentleman that takes care of the Topband reflector on contesting.com. I just wanted to express my deep appreciation for all your hard work since the Topband e-mail list was started, and for being able to access all of the great information in those archives.

I have read back through every month of the Topband Archives at http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/topband/ back to August 1996, and have read more fascinating and valuable information there than I ever dreamed I would find. (No, I didn't read every single post)

Of course, some credit should go to the participants. I see some regulars have been with the list since 1996. I have learned so much -- it was so enjoyable to read information I could have never found anywhere else.

It appears that there was a previous Topband reflector/mailing list on another server (frontier.net). If there are any archives that are available from that, I would sure appreciate being able to browse through those, too.

I'm currently working on setting up a 160 station, after several years of inactivity on the bands. About the only experience I've had with 160 was when I was invited by W8JI in the early 80's to participate in a 160 contest at his former residence in Ohio. I never forgot how much fun it was, though I have only operated on 160 meters one time since then. So far, I just have one 580' SW-NE bidirectional Beverage antenna. A back injury (from driving in a ground rod) has kept me from putting up the second Beverage and the vertical for transmitting. It'll be up, hopefully before the summer static gets bad.

I have enjoyed the Topband list more than words can possibly express. I am in awe of the wisdom, experience, and kindness of many Topbanders, and look forward to getting on 160 in the near future. Thanks again.

73,

Mike

Michael J. Waters
W0BTU