Topband: nonlinear attenuation along signal path

Merv Schweigert k9fd at flex.com
Thu Feb 19 13:46:27 EST 2009

> In the case of the recent FW operation, I believe that the
> antenna would have worked  better if it was standing in
> the water -- perhaps as much as 3 dB better. That could
> have made the difference for you!

This is proven every day here in KH6,  there are a couple of stations that
are "mobile" and set up antennas at the beach,  one for instance uses a
half wave end fed.  His signal and reports are always much better than
mine where I am about a KM from water.   I also have up a half wave
on HF bands and it works well, but nothing like if its at the
waters edge.  I think ON4UN or one of the antenna books has a plot
of the antenna over regular ground,  excellent ground  and salt water,
there is at least 3DB over excellent ground and up to 6db over regular
ground.
If your on an expedition get to the waters edge,  you wont need a
beam and save the packing and shipping.  Vertical in water will
do as well.   Merv KH7C