Topband: Flooded CATV cables for TX

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 24 11:21:19 EST 2009

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:24:58 +0100, Lennart M wrote:

>Like many of you I have been using "outdoor drop cable" for RX
>antennas without any problems.

I have no experience with using cable like this for transmitting,
however I'll offer some thoughts.

1) You didn't say what frequency or transmit power you are
thinking about.  Let's assume 160M, since that's the reflector
we're using.

2) Look at the resistance (at RF) of the two conductors, and
compare it with coax that IS commonly used for transmission. The
drop cable I see here in the US has copper clad steel (CCS) as a
center conductor and aluminum foil with braid for shield.

3) To get a handle on resistance, look at DC resistance, AND look
at graphs of attenuation versus frequency. If you can't find those
data for the cable you have, look at that data for cables of
similar construction. CCS is used in some Belden RG59s, and their
data shows that skin effect hasn't really kicked in much below 5
MHz, so much of the current at 1.8 MHz will be in the steel.

4) Try putting connectors on it and running some power into a
dummy load. Measure power at both ends. Feel the cable after
you've been heating it for a while.

My guess is that the cable will work just fine at moderable power
(100 watts) but may not work at 1kW. On the other hand, I've used
Belden RG59 at 1.4 kW on 1.8 - 7 MHz with dipoles under contest
conditions (lots of transmitting) with no problems. I had good
Amphenol PL259s on it, but SWR was far from flat over the entire
band.

73,

Jim K9YC