Topband: QSL:s

wb6rse1 at mac.com wb6rse1 at mac.com
Wed Feb 25 19:01:15 PST 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 7:40 AM, calle.jonsson at sverige.nu wrote:

I looked into my log from 2006 until today. What I found out was that DL
stns are almost QSLing 100%, but Stateside stations only about 5% (!).
_________

You don't mention whether those numbers reflect responses or
initiation. I personally don't QSL every Q. I will answer all received.

The ARRL out going bureau does a very high volume. So any delays are
likely a function of the volunteers who then receive the cards at the
various society incoming bureaus around the world.

In decades past, when the only way to receive USSR cards was via the
bureau, many of us worked lots of JAs to keep the skids greased. And
it worked! 20 JAs but there was that one elusive UG6 QSL that
otherwise might sit for months until the bureau manager deemed there
was enough weight or it had waited long enough to be mailed.

I received a bureau envelope not too long ago that included a card for
160m from DJ9VA, QSO Dec 2007. About a year in transit. I filled out a
card and put it in my out pile. I then had a surprise just the next
day. A direct request for the very same Q. Which I turned around
immediately.

It's simply the old adage of time vs money. If you want/need a
pasteboard in hand quickly, you spend the money and go direct.

As for getting old, well none of us are getting any younger ....

73 - Steve WB6RSE