Topband: Flag antenna Gain:

wb6rse1 at mac.com wb6rse1 at mac.com
Thu Feb 26 14:24:17 PST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 6:20 AM, n9bx at mchsi.com wrote:

Is this flag really playing like it should, or am I expecting too much
out of it?

____________

It is likely doing exactly what it should do since the back is on EU
from your QTH. Rather than thinking of it as a "gain" antenna, it
might be more useful to consider its directivity. You're trying to
minimize signals in other than the favored direction.

I have used several diamonds and a flag on my roof and can attest to
improved readably in the favored direction, and, unfortunately,
interaction with nearby resonant antennas. I use a single binocular
core to match to 50 ohm coax with a preamp at the rig. Compared to my
shunt fed tower and a coax RX loop, these large loops are very quiet.
The matching transformer is critical. It's the improved S/N that's the
difference here vs any "gain."

YMMV

73 - Steve WB6RSE