Topband: MFJ-259 Antenna Analyzer

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at surfvi.com
Sun Jan 4 08:49:37 EST 2009

AD5VJ Bob wrote:
> I have found an MFJ-259 finally that I can afford, it doesn't work, the listing says that the meters work, but there is no LCD
> display, but the meters work.
>
> or should I look further.

The MFJ-259B is what you want not the older 259.

Bob I saw this one on E Bay and was tempted to bid....but it really is not what you need when a small VSWR meter at the antenna feed point can tell you more.  The LCD is crucial to the operation without which you can not navigate to the resonant frequency. Also resonance is not as importance as a good match.  I have been using a non resonant antenna, my 75 foot tower, for years on 160.  Dealing with the impedance transfer and having a good ground are far more important then knowing where the antenna is resonant, IMHO.

Herb, KV4FZ
>   Bob I saw this one on E Bay and was tempted to bid....but it really is not what you need when a small VSWR meter at the antenna feed point can tell you more.  The LCD is crucial to the operation without which you can not navigate to the resonant frequency. Also resonance is not as importance as a good match.  I have been using a non resonant antenna, my 75 foot tower, for years on 160.  Dealing with the impedence transfer and having a good ground are far moreimportant then knowing where the antenna is resonant, IMHO.

Herb, KV4FZ