Topband: Improving the Fabulous CQ 160 Contest

Richard L. King k5na at ecpi.com
Fri Jan 9 14:20:59 EST 2009

Sending your grid square would certainly make getting an accurate
exchange during the contest harder. Since any 160M contest is an
exercise in weak signal work, most scores would go down. Plus there
will be more score reductions due to copying errors in our logs.

That's OK, but we already have the Stew Perry Contest that offers
this challenge.

I don't know if many of you remember when the exchange for the CQWW
160M CW contest was a progressive serial number? The exchange was
just like the WPX contest exchange (example: "599137 and then 599138
and so on").

That made QSOs with weak signals really hard to copy and sometimes
required a lot of repeats to get it right. It was such a problem that
the contest chief (N4IN then I think?) changed the rules to stop the
usage of serial numbers and move to the present exchange we had up
until last year of sending state and country. That rule change was
made in the late 70s or early 80s I think.

Do we really want to go back to that sort of exchange? I don't know,
but it is something to think about. There will be good arguments on
both sides of this question. There will always be differences of
opinion of what, exactly, constitutes a "good" QSO on 160M.

73, Richard - K5NA