Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

Tree tree at kkn.net
Sun Jan 11 22:55:13 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 04:20:01PM -0600, Phil Clements wrote:

> This leads me to believe that what is missing this season is the ability of
> the ducts to accept 160-meter energy, for whatever reason.

I guess from my perspective - while perhaps there haven't been as many good
openings for the long hauls - one thing I have not heard is any echoes on
signals that are indicators of some kind of ducting action going on.

This recording was made in Jan 1995.  I am sending the first two dits at
the start - the second two dits are an echo!

http://www.kkn.net/~tree/sounds/echo.wav

While I have had a good number of VK6 QSOs this season, I have not heard ZS as
well as I did 11 years ago.  Except for one or two openings, signals have been
very poor.  I remember ZS4TX's signal coming in very strong almost every night
for a week or two back 11 years ago.

I also remember hearing some echos on my 75 meter SSB signal from K6NA back
in the CQP contest in 1987.  I was hearing most of the word "american"
coming back at me.

Haven't heard any of this recently.

73 Tree N6TR