Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

W9UCW at aol.com W9UCW at aol.com
Tue Jan 13 06:44:57 EST 2009

The Reflector postings on this subject have  always been enlightening to me.
I've never been strong on this subject and  I tend to pay close attention to
what everyone says. In terms of recent postings  I would add the following
summary of my observations.

For the last nearly 20 years I've been in  one of two locations in the south
tip of Texas. During this period I have  consistently operated 160 using two
primary antennas, a vertical and a  horizontal. The verticals have been various
configurations from 75 to 100 feet  high with good radial systems. The
horizontals have been a large horizontal  loops. The first was 540' around on four
wood poles, 50' high. The  other is 1150' around on wood poles, 60' high over
flat farmland. The loops have  been fed with open wire feedline and a balanced
tuner in the shack.

For most of the 20 year period, but particularly  from about 1998 well into
2007 the loops dominated the verticals, for both  receive signal strength and
transmit signal reports for DX contacts in general.  The ratio was about 80/20
in favor of the loops. Somewhat over a year ago things  began to change and
the ratio has moved to about 30/70 in favor of the  verticals. We live in an
extremely quiet location, which facilitates the  comparisons.

I'm not sure that adds anything to the academic  discussion, but it is
somewhat revealing to me, in terms of what several of you  have said. Thanks...
Happy New Year and Best DX wishes for 2009.

Barry, W9UCW
steps!
cemailfooterNO62)