Topband: Response to weird idea feedback

Lennart lennart.michaelsson at telia.com
Sat Jan 17 04:38:23 EST 2009

Tree, N6TR said:
> In general - the signals in the USA are cleaner and it is more possible to
> hear a weak European signal coming in between USA signals.

> Obviosuly - this strategy only works if there is some propagation - so we
> will see.  But - I will consider trying it if it seems like it might be
> productive.  Hopefully - as a result of this discussion - there might be
> a few more Europeans that work Oregon as a result.

Tree is correct on signal quality. Clicky CW signals are very common in
Europe especially during contests (for some reason?). Even with good RX
antennas including phasing units it is hard to dig out a weak NA westcoast
signal because clicky CQ signals are coming from almost all directions.
Yes, I am using my Elecraft K3 with high selectivity and it helps not much
on wideband clicky sigs.
I suggest we give it a try during the next contest, there is no entrance fee
BTW. Maybe some of the EU stations being aware of their fast rise CW sigs
can take action before next contest!
73
Len
SM7BIC