Topband: (no subject)

radio at modesgate.com radio at modesgate.com
Mon Jan 19 08:58:53 EST 2009

So,  having missed the opportunity to purchase the pneumatic mast:-( I
enquired about on this list last week, I have been considering other
alternatives.  My problem is that, due to restrictions at my location, I
really need to avoid having to guy anything if at all possible.  I have
corresponded with a few people and had a number of potentially useful
suggestions, some of which I am following up.

One option I have looked at is the Titanex V160HD.  Now, I know these are
very expensive but, on paper at least, it looks like a perfect answer to
my situation.  I could crank it up when I want to operate and luff it over
when not in use – which would be the majority of the time.  I am more than
happy to avoid using in high winds.

The downside is that all of the people I have corresponded with so far
have guyed theirs and all of them have experienced failures in the top
sections.  Now, it might be that this is an old problem and it also might
be a result of guying.  I am told that Titanex have upgraded the product
(I have asked them about it but no reply so far) to deal with this
problem.

My question then is to anyone who is using this antenna un-guyed – how
have you found it?  Have you had any mechanical problems or failures?  Are
there any other comments or advice you would give me concerning this
antenna?

One final thing, I was told when I first expressed an interest in 160m
that I would find a very friendly and welcoming community and that has
certainly proved to be the case.  I really am looking forward to getting
on the band this year.

73

Denis MW0CBC/GW8OQV