Topband: Coax

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Tue Jan 20 10:40:56 EST 2009

> "For receive I use RG-6/U quad shield from Home Depot. As I recall a 500
> foot roll costs between $50 and $100 (closer to $50). It works great."

Equally good for Rx is the flooded, direct-bury RG-6 QS.  I'm a refugee from
the CATV industry and have developed an appreciation for Snap-'N-Seal "F"
connectors.  DXE supplies high quality SNS hardware -- and Home Depot
supplies the Ideal Industries brand compression tools and SNS connectors at
reasonable prices.  SNS hardware can also be found under the Thomas & Betts
and Augat brand names.

A reliable SNS fitting requires a coaxial cable prep tool designed for the
SNS connector and equally important, a contour-blade cable cutter to prevent
the RG-6 cable from being crushed as it's cut.from the spool.

Paul, W9AC