Topband: Topband CW Speed

Dennis W0JX w0jx at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 10:26:43 EST 2009

I had a discussion about this with Bob, K4UEE, at Dayton two years. It was my opinion that some DXpedition ops were sending much too fast. We agreed that around 22 wpm was a good speed for DX on topband. Other well-known topband ops favor 18 to 20 wpm. So it seems that a range of 18 to 22 might be a good range.

I recently got on 6 meter CW for the first time last summer and note that speeds there seem to be in the 20 to 30 wom range due to the short E layer openings.

Dennis W0JX/8