Topband: QRQ vs QRS

GEORGE WALLNER gwallner at the-beach.net
Wed Jan 21 10:40:28 EST 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 06:33:16 +0100
  "Lars Harlin" <lars.harlin at one.se> wrote:
.
> Any other thoughts?

Lars,

My experience from VK9WWI, C6AGU, 5K0T, and my own QSO-s
on TB (many of them QRP), is that the optimum speed is
between 17 and 23 WPM. At higher speeds dots and entire
letters get easily masked by clicks and lightning crashes,
at lower speeds the QSB can wipe out part of the call,
often cunningly the same part each time the call is sent.
Also, lower speeds can make you sound like one of the bouy
beacons. Most importantly, however, the sending speed of
the other station should be your primary guide to speed
selection.

See you on TB, 73,

George
AA7JV