Topband: Small lot receiving array

H R SMITH ron3cx3000a7 at q.com
Wed Jan 21 18:06:48 EST 2009

      I d like to thank Lee K7TJR for all his help in designing my 3 element equilateral triangular receiving array. I ve been reading all the remarks about antennas on small city lots, my lot is 85x126. The array only has a 44'6" footprint. The array is madeup out of 3 20' sticks, beam elements that I had, a controller that I built, Lee's design and RG6. I use Lee's high impedance amps (3) and the controller has 6 directions. The xmit antenna is a 75' twr  shunt fed with an M2 20M4 ontop and 64 radials covering @ a 180 deg area due to location of my house. I use an MFJ 1026 along with an Ameco PT-3 with all my receive antennas as needed. I had to go to a 16' noisesensing antenna to make the 1026 play. I have been able to hear and work stations in Europe with the array and 1026 combo that I could not hear on any other antenna even with the 1026. However for local work the array is too sharp and I use the loop which seems to hear high angle signals better. I did lots of testing and phone calls to Lee along with buying the EZNEC v 5.0 and an HP 8405 vector voltmeter off Ebay. I ve learned a lot about arrays and delay lines. I m getting all I can out of this lot and will try to improve. Waiting for one more black box, more testing and more to come. Ron  KB7ZR