Topband: Small Lot Receiving Antennas Update

H R SMITH ron3cx3000a7 at q.com
Fri Jan 23 02:27:09 EST 2009

      I'll try and answer some of your questions. The nearest element of the array is 18' from the xmit ant and 9' from the house. The AC powerlines run @3' above and @5' outside of array. I have run 1500 watts with no ill effects at all! The transistor amps are protected, I also run a "Receive Antenna Switch" by Gary Nichols (KD9SV) on both stations. There is some interaction from the xmit ant and I will try to tune that out with a tuned circuit, too much snow and too cold now. As for the MFJ 1026, it took me a while to make it play. One night I ran the xmit ant into the sense port and used a 40 mtr dipole on receive, worked great. I now knew that I needed a larger sense ant. I put up a 16' stick as far away from all the other antennas. I run the array through the 1026 and the Ameco PT-3. I did put a larger phasing knob on the 1026, easier for me to tune. It might help that I tuned the xmit antenna to 50 ohms on the shunt fed twr with a General Radio 1606A RF bridge. One other note- on the base of the sense ant I match it with a 10:1 binocular #73 transformer. If all things workout I'll let you know where you can see more. As for this weekend, new date for CW contest, 42 yrs with the xyl and I will be out of town. Good Luck to all in the contest this weekend. Ron  KB7ZR