Topband: Difficult rxing in contest environments in EU

Petr Ourednik indians at xsmail.com
Thu Jan 29 14:56:02 EST 2009

Björn,

as I am attending the contests on Topband also for long time I have
the same experiences. Unfortunatelly I have to say that highjacking
the QRG comes to be the trend or bad standard of lot's big gun stations.

>From my experiences many times its better to leave far from them ->
of course "with the puck" :) instead of conflicts. As I heard in these
cases even it not help to ask them for QSY or so...

I tried to use for many years lot of radios like FT990, FT102, K2, K3,
Orion I and Omni V.9 but all the time I had to use filters as narrow as
available. Almost 100Hz BW can help in crowded band but as You already
mentioned off-frequency calling is big problem. Its pity in years of
modern digital radios like Orion, K3 etc. Many of op's calling so far
from
my QRG that I found callers even 500Hz away! I never had problem with
that
in 1988 when I used simple (not bad) M160 transceiver and many of us
used
home made gears.

So what happends guys?

73 - Petr, OK1RP