Topband: QRe: Common mode chokes

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Jul 6 10:54:28 PDT 2009

> >center tap and compared the results, and there was a huge improvement
> >with the ground, so I've tentatively concluded that it is the whole
> >"circuit" that does the trick.
>
> It makes complete sense that the ground should help a lot by
> forming a voltage divider in the common mode circuit.

Even a reasonable "ground" followed by a single common mode choke
should be an improvement over the same common mode choke as some
random position on the feedline.  Assuming the "ground" has an
impedance of 10 Ohms or so (8' ground rod with 8 x 16' radials
might approach this) the common mode choke with 500 Ohm impedance
would be significantly more effective than the same choke at a
high impedance point on the feedline.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV