Topband: Looking for ideas for ground mounted vertical mounitng scheme (base insulator especially)

k8gg at voyager.net k8gg at voyager.net
Mon Jul 20 05:29:24 PDT 2009

Mike, VE9AA wrote:

" Hi All,

> As
I was mowing today I wondered when I would ever get around to

installing
> my 160m vertical I had planned to do a year ago.
> What I have in the ground is an old chunk of concrete aprox the
size of
> large pumpkin. This has a 1½" (aprox) pipe
embedded in it aprox 2' long
> in
> total. Goes all the
way through, so it's touching earth. I actually
> found
> this down in the woods when I bought the property. MOstly likely
the
> remnants of an old fencepost, or tetherball pole. Anyways,
I dug a hole
> and
> got most of it in the hole. I
estimate it weighs 200lbs?

> I have various pipes here
and could probably build something 50'-60' tall
> and attach a
3-wire wire tophat to it, but I am wondering mostly about

attaching the vertical to the pipe in the concrete. I would presume I
> would
> want to isolate the pipe, yet physically attach it
to the vertical
> section.
> Surely some folks have done
it. What do you use? Painted wood? Some
> kind
> of PVC
method? Are there fiberglas items that would do the job? I'd like
> the base to be as strong as possible to use less guy ropes. Anyone
had
> any
> luck with really big fishing line? (to
minimize visual ugliness?)

> Anyways, looking for
ideas. I've stared at this for a year, sticking up
> out
> of my lawn, so time to do something with it, hi !
>
> Thanks,
> Mike VE9AA

Mike et. al.,

Since the chunck of concrete is probably only 12 to 16 inches
thick, it would be subject to frost heaving and would be an unstable
base.   One wants to get the foundation of any antenna below the
frost line which is approximately 48 inches (1.2 meters) for VE9.

I would opt for a treated wooden post about US size 4 x 4 inches x 8 ft
long, and use standard UV resistant plastic piping or electrical
components to provide further insulation.
For ease of
installation, consider two posts spaced the diameter of the mast so it can
be hinged at the base and tilted up into vertical position.  These
might have to be 2 x 6 inch lumber or larger.
Also, when
the hole is dug and the posts are spaced and vertically plumbed, consider
backfilling the hole with premixed concrete in a sack.  One of the
commercial brands is "Sackcrete".  There is no need to mix
it up with water, as Mother Nature will wet it in place when it rains.

Just my opinion(s).   73 &
GL,
George