Topband: Topband loaded dipole?

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at surfvi.com
Wed Jul 22 10:15:11 PDT 2009

Ian Wade G3NRW wrote:
> "I can put up about 110 feet of wire for topband, and am toying with the
> idea of a loaded dipole,"

The best thing IMO you could do for a DX antenna on 160 meters is to
drop a single vertical wire from the exact center (of your 110 foot
flattop) and feed it against ground as a Marconi T.  The antenna you
described as a shorten horizontal would have a reduced efficiency and
still sent most of the RF to the clouds above.   But if you want to
cross the pond just do what Marconi did over 100 years ago, i.e. a
Marconi "T" working against a good ground still beats everything. They
are simple and work about the best one can get for a limited space
antenna on top band.  If there is something better we are certain to
hear about it on this Reflector.

Good Luck,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ