Topband: T - vertical improvement

Robert Carroll w2wg at comcast.net
Fri Jul 24 09:17:41 PDT 2009

I have often done this, but N4GG educated me on another aspect of the old
micas.  While they usually carry a voltage rating, they normally do not
carry a current rating.  I never worried about this until just after Hal
mentioned the issue to me--and soon after I popped my first mica.  I believe
Hal told me that you are often pressing your luck when get up to around two
amps rms through one of the typical transmitting micas you find at a
hamfest.  But as Hal says, at the price you pay why worry?  Actually he
recommended paralleling a few chosen to give the correct cap value if you
get into the 2 amp total current region.  That cured the problem in my case.
I have lived too close to the edge with several matching networks since then
and have always cured the problem through paralleling.  Interestingly
enough, none of the "popped" caps were either open or shorted, but whatever
had happened inside had whacked off maybe 25% of their cap value.

I have found some small plastic electrical boxes at Home Depot are excellent
for housing such matching units.  I can't recall the brand, but they have
seals which keep water out, and if you drill a weep hole in the bottom, you
can use them in exposed areas with no issue. The boxes come in small to
large sizes, and I have often gotten away on 160m with using an inductor
made from #12 or #14 THN wire wound on a short length of PVC.  The losses
aren't bad on 160m if you want to be quick and dirty.

Hal has an environmental test going.  He has quite of few micas used for
legal-limit matching in use at his place and has left them exposed to the
elements.  I believe he is going on four years now with no failures.

After having our local antenna guru, K4DLI, nudge me and K4UEE for years to
go from an L to a T on 160m, we both made the move a little while back.  The
L's have always served me well, but the T seems to have  an edge on it--and
K4UEE feels the same.

73
Bob W2WG