Topband: Several questions:

Terry Conboy n6ry at arrl.net
Tue Jul 28 14:14:29 PDT 2009

Dennis,

You didn't say how the RFI affects you.  Where does it appear?

It sounds like your vertical antenna is very close to the shack.  Maybe
40 feet or less?  If so, you are definitely in the near field and
everything conductive will couple to your antenna.

The presence of RF on the tuning capacitors in the 949E isn't too
surprising, since they are floating from ground.  They may use an
insulated coupler or just depend on the insulated knob to keep you from
getting RF burns.  (The MFJ manual online doesn't have any interior photos.)

If your choke coil in the feedline presents a reasonable reactance,
replacing it with a ferrite choke may not make much difference.  Adding
a second choke at the TX end might change the flow of currents - but you
may not know if it would get better or worse without experimenting.
Adding a good connection to ground from the coax shield roughly midway
between the chokes can also help prevent common mode current flow on the
coax shield, if that is indeed the problem.

Glad to hear you performed the "final QC" on your fine MFJ product.
Their low prices apparently depend on QC taking place after the sale!

Good luck,
Terry N6RY