Topband: Beverage Feed Line Choke Installation

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Jun 1 23:39:35 PDT 2009

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:43:43 -0400, n4is wrote:

>My place is very noisy and I may be over killing the common mode noise.

I understand your logic of creating a two-stage common mode filter with
chokes and multiple ground rods, with each choke being a series element and
each ground rod being a shunt element. When overkill is easy and
inexpensive, and when there are no tradeoffs, by all means do it!  I also
agree with your strategy of choking other cables in the vicinity.

Several months ago, I measured the common mode impedance of all the
telephone RFI filters I could find. I was surprised at how much common mode
impedance was for those that had a repution of success. In the world of
common mode chokes, more is definitely better so long as you're not
degrading the differential circuit, and nothing we do with coax can hurt
the differential circuit short of making the coax too small to handle the
power.

Many thanks for sharing your work on this.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC