Topband: Dual feed for Pennants

Greg - ZL3IX zl3ix at inet.net.nz
Tue Jun 23 04:06:18 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to extend my remote Rx site with a couple of
phased Pennants for the SE/NW direction.  I intend to cover both
directions with a single pair of antennas, and use relays to switch
between load and feed at each one.  I will be using W8JI's feed
transformer design with two transformers per antenna.  For convenience,
I am thinking of putting the relay in a box at one of the feed/load
points and running a coax right through the middle of the antenna to the
opposite feed/load point.

My thinking is that, since the feed is isolated at each end, and the
coax is much shorter than a wavelength, there should be no pattern
distortion, and little noise pickup.  I will run a simulation on this
just to check, but I was wondering if anyone is using a similar
arrangement, and, if so, what the results are.

73, Greg, ZL3IX