Topband: thanks for RX antenna advice - and one more question

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Wed Mar 4 08:07:53 PST 2009

> KD9SV, who knows a lot about receiving antennas, cautioned "I would just
> make sure to switch 'both sides of the coax' so as to not add any ground
> loops that could possibly add a lot of noise from the shack to the radio
> being used...in other words you do not want two extra coax's hanging off
> the radio in use."
>
>Pete N4ZR
_____

KD9SV's advice is worth following if you suspect any problems at all with
common mode RF pickup.

But if you have been careful to make a "clean" installation with isolated or
decoupled feedlines, properly dressed and routed to eliminate common-mode,
then you will see no improvement with the more complex switching
arrangement.

It's simple to test -- just try all your antenna combinations while plugging
and unplugging the coax of unused antennas. Be sure to include any remote
preamp or switching cables, too. If you detect any changes, then you can
choose to switch the center and shield, but I would consider this a
temporary solution until you find the source of the problem and fix it!

73, Gary
K9AY