Topband: how close is to close

richard brossard w2rlb at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 16:20:21 PDT 2009

I have multiple 375 kv power lines less than 1 mile from my 160 meter antenna that give a 20 over s9 signal that sounds like high voltage discharge . My flex sdr 1000 , flex 5000 and orion remove that noise completley and bring me down to band noise on 160 due to the fact they have true digital noise blankers . I have worked many dx stations with these transcievers . My ft 1000 d , ft 1000 mp , 756 pro , ts 2000 , ft 847 , ft 920 , ts 570 , plus many other's could never remove the noise and in fact when using the noise blankers on them just further degrades the signals that make it over the noise much less you cant even hear the weak ones . Rich