Topband: Real radios glow in the dark - and they may be free!

N7DF n7df at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 07:33:32 PDT 2009

We recently acquired three 1 KW broadcast transmitters for very reasonable prices.
One was for $1 and we haul it off.
 We found several others for free but they were too far away to make it worthwhile going to get them.  We referred hams in their local areas to them.
Inquiring around the low power broadcast stations in our area we found that many stations have old, tube type transmitters sitting around gathering dust that they will be willing to part with (the transmitters, not the dust, they keep that for future use)
These are really gutsy transmitters with very impressive cabinets.  Most run a pair of 833 or 4-400 tubes in class C and have power supplies designed to run 24/7 at full bore.  It requires only a few modifications to put them on 160 CW.  1.  Disconnect the AM modulator 2. Install a DPDT antenna relay  3.  Retune the RF circuitry to 160 meters (usually only retapping the coils and tuning the capacitors is needed)
The best thing is the look on your visitors face when they see a 7 foot tall, 3 foot wide, 800 pound transmitter in your hamshack.
And the best thing....they glow in te dark!

CU on with some heavy metal
73
N7DF &  K0HGW