Topband: 1.99?

Nagi nagi at nmt.ne.jp
Tue May 5 04:17:19 PDT 2009

I remembered something about 70's when I read Bob W7LR's post "1.99?"
and the response"Re:1.99?"

So I went over my 160M log in 70's. In those days the stations in Pacific
like KH6 appeared 1990-1999KHz. There were not so many stations
QRV on 160M as today but Jack KH6CHC (later KH6CC-SK) or
Nose KH6IJ-SK were so active that I worked with them many many times.

Jack KH6CHC were always on 1995KHz and Nose KH6IJ on 1999KHz.
Marv KJ6DL from Johnston Is. who was active around 1976 appeared
on 1994.5KHz and DX Pedition KP6AL Palmyla Is. and KP6BD Kingman Reef
in 1977 also were on 1995KHz.

Although almost VK or ZL were around 1803KHz then, there was a station
as ZL1BKX always appeared on 1876KHz.

On AA-CW contest in August 1975, I worked with two stations on 160M.
One was with Nose KH6IJ exchanging 59919/59961 on 1999KHz and
another Harry VK3XI , 59919/59970 on 1803KHz.
I am still not as OM as they were in those days but scarcely QSO with
teenagers, that makes me a little bit sad.

I remembered Jack KH6CC  (ex KH6CHC) appeared on 1803KHz in CQ-160M
in Jan. 1978 and since then I think I have not heard works on 1995KHz.

As the post of Jeff K1ZM once, 1970's then, the QSO with Ws was only
around 1803KHz.
Of course us JAs worked within the limits of 1907.5-1912.5KHz and
QSO with DX were almost splits QSOs.

In those days almost all QSOs with Ws were the stations on the West Coast
and were really hard with especially Central area and with the East Coast.
Limits of stations on east area from JA's point of view could QSO with us.
Among them were W5RTQ (later K6SE-SK) TX, W5SUS-SK AR,
WA8IJI (later W8JI) OH, W9UCW IL, W8LRL WV.

I heard the signals of W1BB, W1HGT or K1PBW many times on arond 1803KHz
but never could get response from them.
QRM of Loran made the receiving difficult on 1910KHz on the East Coast.

But in Feburary 1981 Bill K2GNC finally accomplished the QSO between
the East Coast and JA. At that time, the open was so narrow as JA6 area
like JA6LCJ, JA6IEF, JH6OFX, Kagoshima and Miyazaki Pref. within 100
miles.

I visited the QTH of Bill K2GNC on Long Island in NY in May 1981.
I recalled that his antenna was something like 60 or 70 feet vertical
and not so gigant one. The open then seemed very spot limited by
long path over the VK/ZL.

Also the stations on Europe were above 1825KHz which commonly called
DX Window and we JA were suffered with receiving signals by Loran on 1850KHz.

Now things have changed. Loran's QRM has gone and we JA are permitted
working on 1810-1825KHz that makes us possible to QSO with World Wide.

There might be slight difference of propagation between 1.99 and 1.8MHz.
but it is sure that they are basically clear frequency with little QRM/QRN
as well as simplex QSO ability each other.

See you on 160M.

73,    Aki  JA5DQH