Topband: K7RAT/B signals at W2RU

W2RU - Bud Hippisley W2RU at frontiernet.net
Thu May 7 04:26:42 PDT 2009

I listened to the K7RAT beacons from 0945 - 1015 Z this morning, more
or less covering my sunrise in FN23nr in upstate NY.

After adjusting the attenuator for the difference in total gain in my
antenna system between the two frequencies, I could not identify any
consistent or sustained difference in readability between the two
frequencies.  In particular, I didn't see any shift from one beacon to
the other as sunrise progressed here.   And beacon signals on both
frequencies faded to "unusable" simultaneously at the end of my
listening period.

RX antenna here was my 90-foot top-loaded Rohn tower w/24 radials on
the ground, picking up Tree's signals from across perhaps 3/4-mile of
freshwater lake with some Adirondack foothills on the far side.
Receiver was a TS-950SDX.  I'd estimate I have about 8 dB RX antenna
gain difference between 1800 and 2000.

Bud, W2RU