Topband: Vertical offset from center of radial field

Charles Bibb zedkay at telepak.net
Sat May 23 08:55:52 PDT 2009

Hi, all

I searched the literature and the topband mailing list archives for
this info, but can't seem to find the answer.  The archives contained
two queries almost identical to my question, but unfortunately no
replies in answer.

My question is this:  How far offset from the center of the radial
field can a vertical radiator be before encountering serious problems
with ground losses and/or pattern skewing?

I'm planning on doing some antenna experiments this summer, and the
feed-point of the "new" or experimental vertical can be no closer
than about 6 feet from the center of the existing radial field. (for
purely structural reasons).

I tried using EZNEC, but as all I have is the "el cheap-o" version
that comes free with the ARRL Antenna Book, this is not an option for me.

Any info?

Charles - K5ZK