Topband: No doubt about it

N7DF n7df at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 08:14:39 PST 2009

There is a direct correlation between the quality of operating and the amount of "policing" and deliberate QRMing on a DX station

Some of the most recent DXpeditions have clearly demonstrated this from both ends of the spectrum   Both bad and good operations

Failure to identify is definitely the most glaring example as well as failure to announce the QSX directions

In the few times I have had the opportunity to participate from the DX end of things I have always found that the extra fraction of a second that it takes to send my call and the QSX mode does not detract in the least in the QSO rate   In fact, it only takes a few duplicate QSOs or repeats per hour to cancel out any perceived benefit of not sending ID with each transmission

Usually a clear operating pattern is the best tool for keeping control of the pileup   Send the call of the station you are calling at a reasonable speed (20 WPM) followed by the report  Once they answer send "R or TU" followed by your call (once again at a reasonable speed) with the QSX instruction  "UP 2" or whatever    If the answering station sends a call correction, repeat the correct callsign followed by the R or TU

On 160 and 80 where signal to noise levels can be expected to be more of a problem, it is often a good idea to send the call of the station you are working twice or three times.  You can usually evaluate the need for this in the way stations are coming back to you.  If many stations fail to respond when you call them then you need to repeat their call more times and maybe QRS a bit.

FrAlso it may be desireable for the DX station to send his call several times.  This makes it easier to tune him in for best copy and lets the "non assisted" stations get his call correct.