Topband: Real RST

N7DF n7df at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 4 12:12:32 PST 2009

This subject seems to be a perennial issue that comes up around the beginning of the contest season

For me the RS(T) report, while meaningless in itself, acts a convenient placeholder in giving and receiving the contest exchange.  Even in the SP it is convenient to have it as a prelude to the actual exchange.  Similarly it is convenient in SS to have an NR sent before launching into the exchange.  It kind of primes you to start listening.

And what else is a DXpedition station supposed to do to confirm that a QSO has been established? ( Maybe "W0XXX  Hi there big boy???)

160 is probably the only band where you frequently give and receive semi-factual signal reports, although the actual reading on the S meter is seldom what is sent.  But, a comparative S number is useful.  If I hear a signal that is buried in background noise 50 percent of the time I give an S 3 report.  If it is just at the edge of the noise but is mostly copyable an S 5 is forthcoming.  Above the noise and clear is an S 9.  If my meter actually reads over S 9 I usually give an S 9 plus report.

At the other end of the spectrum how many stations do you work on ten meters that actually move the S meter at all?

Readibility is easily a quantifiable number although there are some instances where a 3x9 plus report would be appropriate.

For that matter what is more useless than the T report.  It has been a long time since all the UA stations started using Japanese made radios and gave up their distinctive chirpy CW.  (Actually I used to listen for the chirpy CW knowing that it was probably good DX)

Even longer since the quenched spark gap that gave such a distinctive tone that you could often identify a station be the tone alone.

I think that the RS(T) is a permanent fixture and we might as well accept it or go down with the ship

73
Larry
N7DF