Topband: Open wire line vs. Paralleled coaxials.

Price Smith w0rihps at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 4 19:40:15 PST 2009

David, On 160 meters, I would not worry about the losses. RG6 is very low
loss on 160. If you have it, use it.

73..Price W0RI

I have a friend's farm near the coast line to use for contesting/DX. There
is a group of palm trees, very tall, one of them is 25+ m. Interesting
posibilities for a vertical array for top band, but it has a small drawback:
it is 80m+ away from the TXCVR.

I have used openwire line for my dipoles and other antennas also the window
line 450 ohm and more with RG59 or RG6 in parallel using center conductors
as open wire line. Shields tied together and grounded at matcher's chassis.
Longest run ever used: abt 40m of RG6 paralleled. It can be installed as
coax without the problems of the ladder line and antennas can be used on
other bands.

Literature says that paralleled coax is not as good as "real" open wire
line. Is there any other information or technical data available? Here, RG6
of good quality is cheaper than good RG213, even when doubled. For a long
run of almost 100 meter to get comfortably to the tree group, I wonder if
losses would be too much.

David
HK1KXA
EC5KXA