Topband: Beverages inside a hedgerow?

John G3PQA g3pqa at onetel.com
Wed Nov 18 03:23:37 PST 2009

> i can run one of the beverages at about 290 deg that is over 1150' long
> but
> the feed point will be about 600' from the shack. Is this too long for a
> beverage and is the feed point a little too far away? I know coax losses
> are less important with RX ariels but is there a sensible limit when it
> come to the distance to the feed point?
> I hope I'm not going over old ground and i apologise if i am.
> 73,
> Colin, gm0vhr

290 deg is an excellent direction from UK for most USA. However a bit off
beam for W7s, KL7s, KH6s etc which come in 330deg/360deg.
1150ft  is very long, and will make the beverage very directive (only 51
degrees beamwidth and low angle 22 degrees elevation lobe, -6dBi gain,
approx), a real killer rx ant if the DX is close to that direction.

If I was in happy position of having that antenna, and didnt have space for
other directions, I would try putting a relay in the middle as could hear a
wider azimuth range when half or third the length. A 600ft beverage 4ft high
has approx 73deg beamwidth and 30 degree elevation main lobe, -10dBi gain. A
400ft beverage has approx 97deg beamwidth and 40 degree elevation main lobe.
Has anyone else tried this with one wire?

600ft feeder is no problem.  Satellite TV duofoil-type coax is relatively
cheap and has relatively low loss on 160/80m.
Beverages 4 ft high are between approx -5dBi to -15dBi gain, so another few
dB even from lossy coax should not be a problem with modern sensitive rxs,
or if necessary with external extra preamp in shack. I use up to 1200ft
without problem. Take normal precautions for common mode and critter attack!
73's
John G3PQA