Topband: KH6 to EU past sunrise

Jan Erik Holm sm2ekm at telia.com
Sat Oct 3 05:26:39 PDT 2009

Bert Barry wrote:
> Wolf Ostwald wrote:
>> Dear reflectees !
>>
>> The mag-field was very quiet last nite and cndx to westcoast were great. I
>> made an interesting contact with KH6AT-Bruce on 160m. My sun was up for
>> about 15 min then and he was very solid copy in EU. I guess we pass up on
>> Good Dxing everyone in new season :-)   wolf   df2py

Speaking about KH6AT I remember a late December some years ago. I was
running W/JA on 80m like a mad man, A and K had been at zero for a few
days. I told myself, heck 160 got to be open but the band was all
silent, just like 2 meters. Well at noon I moved to 160 and started
to call CQ, after 15 mins a loud 599 signal called me, was thinking
it was a Swede or something like local but no it was KH6AT. So we
gave each other 599 and Bruce wanted SSB also so we flipped over to
SSB and had a QSO.
When the QSL arrived Bruce had written on the SSB card " first ever SSB
QSO between EU and KH6". True or not I don´t know but the band was very
good, too bad no other pacific station QRV at the time.

73 Jim SM2EKM