Topband: Make 80m vertical work on 160

GEORGE WALLNER gwallner at the-beach.net
Mon Oct 5 07:56:58 PDT 2009

On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 20:28:32 +0200
  "Franki ON5ZO" <on5zo at telenet.be> wrote:
> Gentlemen, please your advice.
>
> If I were to convert my working resonant 80m vertical
>into a 80/160m
> antenna, I assume I have two basic options according to
>the literature:
>
> - Use a trap to 'split' the antenna on 80m (resonant at
>geometric mean of
> 160/80m frequencies), or
> - Use a loading coil that can be switched in/out
>...linear loading solution in
>ON4UN's book. >

Franki,

I have tried the linear loading described in ON4UN book.
It was not better than a high Q base mounted loading coil.
(I guess the Q of the linear loading element is not that
high.) On the other hand, I have a very good ground system
here, so that may have masked the difference. Perhaps if
the ground system was lossier, linear loading would have
an advantage.

GL es 73,

George
AA7JV