Topband: VERTICAL ANTENNA MATCHING

Tod - ID tod at k0to.us
Tue Oct 6 21:47:25 PDT 2009

I  happen to have a top loaded vertical for 160 meters that is considerably
shorter than 1/4 wave.

I match this antenna by using a series coil followed by a shunt coil. The
values in my specific case are 15 uH for series and 2.7 uH for shunt.. This
brings the SWR values to 3:1 or less over the range 1800 to 1930 kHz.  I use
3/4" CATV hard line as the feed line to my station so I am indifferent about
the losses in the feed line for such SWR. I use an edge wound coil using
5/16"x1/8 rectangular conductor for the 15 uH and #12 silvered on a ceramic
form for the 2.7 uH . Losses are relatively low and heat dissipation is
generally not a problem in Idaho during the winter for the network at the
base of the antenna.

Matching networks [switched]  at the station bring the SWR into the 1.5:1
range for 40 kHz segments of the band starting at 1800 and going to 1920 or
so

YMMV.

Tod, KØTO