Topband: Multiple Beverage Switchbox

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Fri Oct 9 12:42:50 PDT 2009

> There are two issues here...

The key is how well the shields of the feedlines are decoupled.
If the feedlines are elevated - or even on ground - the shield
can act like a "Beverage on Ground" (BOG) and will impress a
signal on the common point reducing the directivity of the
entire antenna system.

If the switchbox is well grounded (low impedance ground), and
the feedlines from each Beverage have effective (Z > 5K Ohm)
common mode chokes on both ends to prevent the "BOG effect"
you can probably get away with switching only the center
conductor.  If switching only the center conductor, I would
use a relay arrangement like the Ameritron RCS-8 or microHAM
six/ten switch that grounds all unused antennas to minimize
any capacitive coupling across the relays.

> However, RG6 catv line, is 100% shielded and can be bundled
> without problems if they are feeding isolated primary
> windings out at the antennas...

The primary issue effecting switching is the BOG effect and
that is independent of the quality of shielding.  It is due
entirely to the presence of common mode currents on the
individual feedlines.  The longer the feedline and poorer
the decoupling, the greater the BOG effect.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV