Topband: noise floor

Pete Parisetti hb9dsu at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 07:30:25 PDT 2009

Hello everybody from a newcomer to the list.

I have a question. I would like to understand if my suburban location is
significantly more noisy than others or not. To do so, it is handy to have
the noise floor measured in dBm - something I can do with my SDR 5000a. The
value is around -82 dBm in conditions which I would call "bad" and around
-90 when "good", measured with the TX antenna (inverted L, 17m vertical/23
horizontal).

Would anybody else with the same rig (or similar) share their numbers?

Thank you very much in advance and 73.

Pete