Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?

alan eshleman oakame at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 18 15:21:35 PDT 2009

Thanks for the comments, Mike and others.  I am heartened to hear how well some Top-banders are doing even with space restrictions.  As you imply, there's a huge East Coast-West Coast divide when it comes to Top Band.

I used to fume when I saw spots from east-of-the-Mississippi stations crowing about how they worked an EU station with "70 watts and a dipole".  That's roughly as difficult as working JA from California--in other words, no big deal. The reason, of course, is that EU is a polar path from here.  It's probably just as difficult to work Zone 5 as it is to work Zone 25 from this coast.

This is only my second season on Top Band.  I have much to learn.  The first time I did any Top Band operation was on the T33C expedition back in 2004.

Do any of you think that the dearth of sunspots may have increased Top Band activity?  I have no frame of reference.

73, Alan/K6SRZ