Topband: K4M on TopBand

Gary E. Jones garyejones at cmaaccess.com
Tue Oct 20 19:38:09 PDT 2009

Dave:

Your point is well taken. A look at the numbers on ClubLog shows that very
few western European Dxers made the haul on the low bands. It is very
frustrating.

However, you have to understand that we feel exactly the same level of
frustration if you look at the numbers of the FT5GA operation, which worked
Europeans at a rate 4 times the rate that they worked any area of North
America and did it consistently from the first day of their operation to the
last day of their operation. Let alone worrying about topband, the West
Coast of NA had almost no QSOs over the first 3 or 4 days of the operation
on any band and the hopes of working them on one of the low bands was a
fleeting dream. The ops virtually NEVER asked EU to stand by on any band so
they could work into a geography that had propagation but weaker
non-competitive signal strengths compared to the stronger signals
originating in Europe.

I know it is a difficult decision for operators to find the right balance
that treats the world equally on all band, and I share your frustration.
Every one of us in the South Central, South West, or West Coast of N.A.
really had to scramble for a single QSO on any band, and very very few of us
had any hope of a chance on 160

           73

                       Gary     W5FI